Wednesday 26 October 2016

Is Tai Chi for you?

In order to help get more movement in my recovering broken shoulder and arm, I had my first Tai
Chi lesson a week ago.

I got lost and turned up 5 minutes late. I saw a teacher facing people standing perfectly still and listening to him. This went on for another 5 minutes and the teacher called me as he could see me through the glass door. He asked if I would like to join them and I briefly explained about my shoulder and jumped right in after taking off my coat. There was just one movement I couldn't manage which involved hanging the right arm out at shoulder level with the wrist facing down. He said if I imagine doing it with my eyes closed, eventually the body will follow. Hey ho.

I wore my double air Nike trainers, whereas plimsolls would probably be more suitable for the foot swivels, so as not to damage knees.

Been there, got the
http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+tai-chi+t-shirts?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=41462797-d-c&utm_content=1112833999-adid-2017602371&utm_term=kwd-18485348785

I don't feel I can do my physio today as my poor arm has been through a lot the last couple of days. I definitely hope to go to more Tai Chi. My knee hurt a little, but hopefully, it will strengthen the muscles around the knee.  Normally after exercise I feel exhausted, but I caught sight of my eyes in the toilet mirror and they were all sparkly. I felt invigorated.

Yesterday, I returned for my second lesson.  It involved the same moves plus breathing techniques but best of all balancing on one leg and walking properly to make falls less likely.  I feel it's helping to make my shoulder more flexible.  Some people felt incredibly hot after the session and I must say it's incredibly relaxing.  I don't suppose it is for everybody as it is somewhat slow, but in my opinion a good way to get fit after an illness or accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment